In April 2018, “The World of Hans Zimmer – A Symphonic Celebration” began the concert tour through Germany. Although he himself is not performing at the concerts, Hans Zimmer has acted as the musical director and curator of the tour, which will feature long-time friends and colleagues of the rock star of film score composers.
In contrast to the renowned “Hans Zimmer Live” tour, where the sound focuses on Zimmer’s band and the electronic sounds of the music, “The World of Hans Zimmer – A Symphonic Celebration” will present the composer’s works arranged for a live symphony orchestra for the very first time. Zimmer spent months working on transforming his soundtracks into opulent concert suites. The composer has chosen to celebrate the world premiere of his newly arranged works, from The Lion King to Gladiator, in his native Germany.
The audience will also be able to enjoy stunning visual projections of film sequences alongside the music for the first time. Zimmer gave precise instructions to the artistic direction about which scenes were important to him and should be used in the projections.
Under the direction of Gavin Greenaway, Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack conductor – whom, he says, he trusts more than he trusts himself – the large symphony orchestra will deliver an intense and unforgettable concert experience.
Short video recordings of Hans Zimmer and his long-time friends and colleagues will also be shown intermittently throughout the show to give the audience exciting and amusing looks behind the scenes of his studio work.
“The World of Hans Zimmer – A Symphonic Celebration” is a unique opportunity to introduce orchestral music to a new generation, to preserve the orchestral culture and present it in a less elite world. The audience will have the chance to delve into the thrilling “World of Hans Zimmer” with all its multilayered facets.
From April 2018 “The World of Hans Zimmer – A Symphonic Celebration“ goes on tour throughout Germany, accompanied by longstanding friends and colleagues of the rock star amongst film composers, with Hans Zimmer acting as curator and musical director, even though he himself will not perform at these concerts.
“The World of Hans Zimmer – A Symphonic Celebration” pulls out all the stops: In addition to visually striking projections of film sequences, a symphony orchestra under the direction of Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack conductor Gavin Greenaway creates an intense and unforgettable concert experience which – in contrast to “Hans Zimmer Live” – celebrates Zimmer’s compositions for large orchestra.
Together with a choir and top musicians from Hans Zimmer’s talent factory, such as Pedro Eustache, the flautist from the Pirates of the Caribbean series, and solo violinist Rusana Panfili, it creates a magical sound cosmos, with the hypnotic voice of Lisa Gerrard, whose hymn “Now We Are Free” from Gladiator remains unforgettable, floating above it all.
“The World of Hans Zimmer” – an unforgettable audio-visual concert experience.
Presented by Semmel Concerts, Tomek Productions & RCI Global, LLC.
THE OFFICIAL CD
The official album by Sony Classical is available now. The recording took place at the famous traditional concert hall Wiener Konzerthaus featuring renowned ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra and choir Neue Wiener Stimmen conducted by Martin Gellner in the course of the “Hollywood in Vienna” festival.
BEHIND THE SCENES
A look behind the scenes at the rehearsals of the WORLD OF HANS ZIMMER and the premiere at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin.
Is this an official touring production?
„Hans Zimmer Revealed“ and „Hans Zimmer Live“ (on tour 2014 – 2017) as well as „World of Hans Zimmer“ (on tour 2018/2019) are the only two official touring productions produced and endorsed by Hans Zimmer’s production team and partners. The official websites are: www.hanszimmerlive.com and www.worldofhanszimmer.com. On those sites you’ll find the latest information, and links to the official social media channels.
Is Hans Zimmer involved in this show?
Yes, Hans Zimmer curated the musical set list and oversaw the artistic development. It is particular noteworthy that all musical arrangements have been newly conceived especially for this concert tour.
Is Hans Zimmer performing at this show?
No. Hans does not perform live on stage in this show.
Are scences from the movies shown?
Yes, selected moments from many of the movies are shown.
About Hans Zimmer
Hans Zimmer has scored more than 150 projects across all mediums, which, combined, have grossed more than 28 billion dollars at the worldwide box office. Zimmer has been honored with an Academy Award®, two Golden Globes®, three Grammys®, an American Music Award, and a Tony® Award.
Zimmer most recently co-scored the critically acclaimed Blade Runner 2049 alongside Benjamin Wallfisch, which earned the pair BAFTA and Critics’ Choice nominations for Best Score. Additionally, Zimmer created the score for Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk, for which he was nominated for multiple awards including an Academy Award, Grammy Award, Golden Globe, BAFTA Award, and Critics’ Choice Award. Other notable scores of Zimmer’s include Gladiator, The Thin Red Line, As Good as It Gets, Rain Man, The Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Thelma and Louise, Black Hawk Down and The Last Samurai.
Upcoming projects include a live-action remake of The Lion King, which will be released by Disney in 2019. In 2017, Zimmer completed a highly successful, critically acclaimed tour across Europe and the U.S.
Recognition for Hans Zimmer (selection)
Academy Awards (Oscars)
Golden Globe Awards
- 1995: The Lion King(winner)
- 1999: The Prince of Egypt
- 2001: Gladiator (winner)
- 2002: Pearl Harbor
- 2003: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron(nominated for best song)
- 2004: The Last Samurai
- 2005: Spanglish
- 2007: The Da Vinci Code
- 2009: Frost/Nixon
- 2011: Inception
- 2014: 12 Years a Slave
- 2015: Interstellar
- 2010: On 8 December 2010 the 2426th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in the heart of Hollywood was dedicated to Hans Zimmer. Star director Christopher Nolan, with whom Zimmer celebrated global success with Inception, was present at the event. Speaking of Zimmer, Nolan said: “To me, there is no composer working who has done more to define the sound of contemporary films.”
- 2011: Star on the Boulevard der Stars in Berlin
- 2011: World Soundtrack Award for Best Original Film Score for Inception
Hans Zimmer filmography (selected films from 1988)
- Burning Secret
- Rain Man
- Nightmare at Noon (together with Stanley Myers)
- A World Apart
- Taffin (together with Stanley Myers)
- The Nature of the Beast (together with Stanley Myers)
- Spies Inc. (together with Fiachra Trench)
- The Fruit Machine
- Black Rain
- Driving Miss Daisy
- Diamond Skulls
- Green Card
- Pacific Heights
- Fools of Fortune
- Days of Thunder
- Bird on a Wire
- Thelma & Louise
- Regarding Henry
- Radio Flyer
- A League of Their Own
- The Power of One
- Younger and Younger
- The House of the Spirits
- True Romance
- Point of No Return
- Calendar Girl
- Drop Zone
- I’ll Do Anything
- Renaissance Man
- The Lion King
- Nine Months
- Beyond Rangoon
- Crimson Tide
- Two Deaths
- Something to Talk About (together with Graham Preskett)
- As Good as It Gets
- The Peacemaker
- Smilla’s Sense of Snow (together with Harry Gregson-Williams)
- The Thin Red Line
- The Prince of Egypt
- The Last Days
- Chill Factor (together with John Powell)
- Black Hawk Down
- Pearl Harbor
- The Pledge (together with Klaus Badelt)
- Invincible (together with Klaus Badelt)
- The Ring
- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
- The Last Samurai
- Something’s Gotta Give (together with several other composers)
- Matchstick Men
- Tears of the Sun
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (composed by Klaus Badelt, produced by Zimmer)
- Laura’s Star (together with Nick Glennie-Smith)
- Shark Tale
- King Arthur
- Thunderbirds (together with Ramin Djawadi)
- The Ring 2
- The Weather Man (gemeinsam mit James S. Levine)
- The Little Polar Bear 2 – The Mysterious Island (together with Nick Glennie-Smith)
- Madagascar (together with James Dooley and Heitor Pereira)
- Batman Begins (together with James Newton Howard)
- The Holiday
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
- The Da Vinci Code
- The Simpsons Movie
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
- August Rush (together with Mark Mancina)
- Road to Fame (Casi divas)
- Kung Fu Panda (together with John Powell)
- The Dark Knight (together with James Newton Howard)
- The Burning Plain
- Madagascar 2
- Angels & Demons
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (supplementary music)
- Sherlock Holmes
- It’s Complicated (together with Heitor Pereira)
- The Dilemma (together with Lorne Balfe)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (together with Rodrigo y Gabriela)
- Kung Fu Panda 2 (together with John Powell)
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
- Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted
- The Dark Knight Rises
- The Bible (mini series, together with Lorne Balfe)
- Man of Steel
- The Lone Ranger
- Morgan’s Last Love
- 12 Years a Slave
- Woman in Gold (together with Martin Phipps)
- The Little Prince
- Kung Fu Panda 3
- 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (score producer)
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (together with Junkie XL)
- Hidden Figures
- The Boss Baby
- Oceans: Our Blue Planet
- X-Men: Dark Phoenix
- The Lion King
2009: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (together with Lorne Balfe)
2011: Crysis 2 (together with Lorne Balfe, Tilman Sillescu and Borislav Slavov)
2011: Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure (together with Lorne Balfe)
2013: Beyond: Two Souls (production; music by Lorne Balfe and Normand Corbeil)
2018: Fifa 19 (production; music by Lorne Balfe)